Following up on the list we compiled a year ago with the 20 Most Influential Edublogs, we have expanded the list to include the top 50 education websites. Out of the numerous websites worldwide focusing on education policies, teaching practices, methodology, or educational technology, some manage to stand out from the rest, garnering a hefty social following in the process. So, did your favourite education website make the cut?
Before we begin, a few words on the process:
What was measured
- We measured following across the six major social networks, namely Facebook, Twitter, Google+, Pinterest, YouTube, and Instagram.
- Only English speaking websites were included.
- We included all kinds of education websites: from ones focusing on Pre-K all the way up to Higher Ed, and all subjects in between.
What was not included
- We had to leave LinkedIn out because most website owners have personal LinkedIn accounts, counting Connections and not Followers.
- Education websites by separate entities and institutions, like Washington Post’s excellent ‘Answer Sheet’, were also left out because they do not have their own distinctive following.
What could not be measured
- Content, both in terms of quantity (number of posts) and quality.
- Reach, as in number of retweets, likes, pins, views and so on.
- Other popularity metrics, like awards and distinctions or mentions on other websites.
So without further ado, here is the list of the 50 top performers:
The 50 Most Influential Education Websites for 2017
- We Are Teachers
- Free Technology for Teachers
- eLearning Industry
- Organized Classroom
- Inside Higher Ed
- Teaching Channel
- Teacher Toolkit
- Educational Technology and Mobile Learning
- Cool Cat Teacher
- Cult of Pedagogy
- Mr. P’s ICT Blog
- The Edublogger
- Math Coach’s Corner
- Will Richardson
- Kathy Schrock’s Guide to Everything
- United Federation of Teachers
- Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day
- Getting Smart
- The Innovative Educator
- The Thesis Whisperer
- Dangerously Irrelevant
- ICT Evangelist
- Teaching Blog Addict
- The Learning Spy
- The Hechinger Report
- The Edvocate
- Rafranz Davis
- The Thinking Stick
- iLearn Technology
- The Rapid E-Learning Blog
- Mike Smith’s Principal’s Page
- Emerging Ed Tech
- Parents’ Countdown to College Coach
- Magical Maths
- The Whiteboard Blog
- November Learning
- Busy Teacher
Below you can see a detailed chart with influence per social platform.
If you think there is any other website that should have been on this list, feel free to mention it in the comments below.